Tuesday, December 28, 2010

A Christmas Card Carol








In Which we pause amid the rapidly growing shadow of terrible things to come so that I may take the first of the occasional comic related ephemera tangents.

Chapter 1 - Prologue via Exposition

So sometime early this past summer I was sitting on a coach in my friends Jamie and Frank's apartment, waiting for other friends to arrive, when I was introduced to a game. A game called Bros Icing Bros. Jamie and -- but mostly -- Frank explained the rules of said game to thusly in a conversation we join already in progress.

(Editor's Note: Not actually how the conversation thuslied.)

Frank: The object is to get someone to look at a Smirnoff Ice.
Me: O.K.
Frank: And if they do they have to take a knee and pound the whole bottle.
Me: O.K.
Frank: And it's hilarious because Smirnoff Ice is horrible.
Me: O.K.
Frank: So do you want to play?
Me: No.

Cut to five minutes later, I "ice" Frank and you know what -- it was hilarious. I was dying with laughter. Jamie was dying with laughter. And Frank was dying because, well, Smirnoff Ice is horrible.

Chapter 2 - A Spirited Idea

So sometime in early November I was possessed by an idea. An idea that I hoped would not put my friends out of humour with themselves, with each other, with the season, or with me. I decided to "ice" my friends on Christmas Eve -- or day, depending on when they opened their "gift." And yes, a gift it would be. Two Smirnoff Ices and a handmade card placed in a box and wrapped up nicely (or as nicely as I can wrap) with one of those stick-tags on it that would read to but not from who.

Chapter 3 - Best. Icing. Ever. (So Far.)

So I bought a six pack of Smirnoff Ice. I found a box to place them and the card in. I gathered up some wrapping paper and filled out one of those stick-tag things. And I made the comics related ephemera part of this post -- a Christmas Card.

It took about ten hours to do from first sketch to finished card. The final working dimensions being 10" x 6 1/4". All done by hand (of course.) I'm not really happy with the lettering choice on the "p.s." and my name or how the heart looks but. . .

The big day arrived and in what can only be described as a Christmas Miracle I was able to walk into Jamie's parents' house and make my way to the tree, stopping to say hi to everyone I knew, without anyone asking me about the present I was carrying.

Chapter 4 - The End of It

So come a little after midnight, while the few remaining gifts were being opened, a present was from under the tree, passed to who it was to, and in front of family and friends. . .




Their faithful Friend and Servant, J.H.
December, 2010

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home