Wednesday, January 11, 2012

Excuses. Excuses.


So, it's Wednesday and that means an update on what comic work I'm currently working on .

I'm actually working on a few things right now but the two I'll mention for this post are "In Defense of the Serial Comma; Or, A Good Excuse to Practice Lettering" and "Man Overboard".

The first, "In Defense. . ." is something that's been bouncing around in my head for about three years now. I've always thought that my lettering could use improvement and now seemed like as good a time as any. The piece is really what the title says it is: a few paragraphs about why the Serial Comma (a.k.a. the Oxford Comma or Harvard Comma) is necessary and should always be used and it's really a really good exercise in lettering. The top scan is a rough, rough, ROUGH, idea for the title. I like the general idea and the fonts / typeface but spacing and neatness need to be improved. As of now, I'm thinking the title will be slightly off center towards the top of the page with four blocks (mimicking panels) of text around it. The "or" by the way, and for those thinking they have seen it before, is from a Rusty Brown piece found in The Acme Novelty Library: Annual Report to Shareholders by Chris Ware. The final version, as of now, will be capitalized just to give that Rocky and Bullwinkle read to it.

The second, "Man Overboard" is actual a piece based on the song Man Overboard by Puscifer (Maynard James Keenan of A Perfect Circle and Tool fame's solo project). It'll be a pretty straight forward take on the song. A two panel page gong vertically with Poseidon in the first (top) panel, a wooden sailing ship in the second (bottom panel) and the words above crossing the two panels.

I liked the linking of youtube videos I was doing to songs that had inspired a piece in some way so as of now I'm going to continue doing it. So, here's a youtube video of Man Overboard by Puscifer:

Labels: , , , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home